Recycling Guidelines


  • All papers, paperback books, and boxes can be mixed together in paper or plastic grocery bags. Just mix all paper items, including newspaper, magazines, catalogs, phone books, junk mail, office paper, computer paper, paperboard (cereal boxes, tissue, boxes, shoe boxes, etc.) together in one bag and place in bin.
  • Please do not recycle paper disposables such as napkins, tissues, plates, hand towels, paper cups, food packaging, binders, table covers or placemats.


  • Non-wax coated with wavy corrugation in the middle 
  • Discard packing material, loose food or badly stained cardboard 
  • Large boxes or quantities: fold or cut into 2' x 2' x 3' pieces and tie securely in bundles of less than 60 lbs. Place under bin.

Empty Food and Beverage Boxes

  • Milk cartons, drink and juice boxes, food and beverage paperboard boxes
  • Rinsed out 
  • Place loose inside bin

Household Batteries - must be taken to S.O.C.R.R.A or the Village Office

  • AA, AAA, C, D, 9 volt and rechargeable batteries 
  • Place in a clear plastic bag. Place inside bin at S.O.C.R.R.A or at the Village Office.
  • NO automotive batteries

Plastic Jugs & Bottles

  • Clean 
  • All plastic containers are acceptable

Metals - Food and Beverage Cans

  • Clean. Labels are o.k. 
  • Clean aluminum trays and pie tins (No foil) 
  • Place loose metal lids inside cans and bend so lids don't fall out. 
  • No scrap metal.  Only cans are acceptable.

Glass Bottles & Jars

  • Clear, green, brown and blue
  • Clean. Metal & plastic lids are o.k. Labels are o.k 
  • Place inside recycling bin 
  • NO broken glass, window glass, light bulbs or ceramic mugs

Paint & Metal Aerosol Cans

  • Must be empty
  • Recycle metal lids. No plastic lids.
  • Do not try to flatten or remove the ends.
  • Aerosols - do not puncture or remove ends

SOCRRA Recycling Drop Off Center

The SOCRRA Recycling Drop Off Center is open to the public at 995 Coolidge, Troy, Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and Saturday 7:00 am to 1:00 pm. For recycling, they accept styrofoam (no packing peanuts), plastic bags, hardcover books, discs, tapes, CDs, DVDs, VHS, cassettes, floppy discs and scrap metal items. You can also donate used clothing, shoes, blankets and toys.

Household Hazardous Waste

Residents may bring toner and ink jet cartridges, paints, solvents, garden chemicals, household cleaners, insulin syringes, medications, compact fluorescent light bulbs, oils, and other household hazardous waste from home. Check the SOCRRA website at for a complete list.

Electronic Waste

You can recycle old electronic equipment at the SOCRRA Coolidge Facility.  You may bring computer monitors, CPUs, printers, TVs, radios, telephones, cell phones, copy machines, fax machines, stereos, VCRs and CD players. No wooden cabinets, please.